I remember going to two different Baptist churches around Christmastime a couple of years ago and noticing that they were both taking a “Lottie Moon Christmas Offering.” I wondered why it was called that. I read about her in the book “Ambassadors for Christ” that my sister gave me for Christmas one year and then after reading about the impact that her letters had on the church, I ordered a book of her letters to read a few of them for myself. She was a part of inspiring many Baptist missionaries to go into the field, she also helped the church to realize the difficulties that missionaries face and how to care for them well.
Fun fact: This stories was one of the first two that I wrote back in 2016/2017. It was written back when I printed these out and brought them to church tri-folded (which is why some parts on this one are upside down). I also called the project Peeps back then and used the same header every time with some little birds that you could imagine peeping and cheeping.
- What can you do to help missionaries?
- Have you ever thought about going to another country to tell people about Jesus?
- Is there anyone you know that is serving Jesus that you can think of a way to encourage?
- Who could you write to?
- What are some ways that following Jesus is hard for you?
- How could someone help you follow Jesus better?
A good activity for this story could be to write a letter to a missionary, pastor, or a friend who encourages you to follow Jesus. I have included a few short Thank You Note templates.